Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Discrimination

I've experienced some mild discrimination before when I was in Germany and travelling around...usually some condescending tone when people spoke or getting less than cordial service at a restaurant....think we get that here as well, where many people in the service industry treat Caucasians better than locals.
But the situation's so much worse now that I'm trying to get an English teaching job, especially in Asian countries. You'd think that companies/schools should be selecting teachers based on ability, not on passport or skin colour....but I can't even complete an application form once I indicated that I'm not from a 'English speaking country'!
Am ranting now because I just received an email reply to my application that says the company cannot secure a visa for me because I'm not from one of the aforementioned countries...but a further check reveals that there shouldn't be a problem as long as I have a degree and completed my education in English! So I would assume it's just an excuse to hide the real problem...that I'm not White!
*Fume*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home