Wednesday, September 30, 2009

movies

it's been a long while since i've updated this blog...hmm...wonder whether there's still anyone reading it :)

anyway, i was trying to relax after prelim marking but made the mistake of watching 2 horrendously violent (from my point of view at least...most of my colleagues begged to differ. they claimed there wasn't enough brain- and gut-spewing!) movies back-to-back. had a terrible headache after that. need some mindless cartoon to clear my mind...can't wait for 'cloudy with a chance of meatballs' to open!

anyway, here's a brief 'movie review':

Movie 1: given my personality, Inglourious Basterds would not have been my first choice of movie (simply because of it's title!), but for some unknown reason, i thought it was a war movie based on a true story...sigh...
i won't say it's a bad movie...it can be funny at times. but it left me feeling rather uncomfortable. somehow a spoof about WWII doesn't really seem appropriate when real people have died.  it seems to make fun of issues like patriotism, changes in people's psyche during wars etc...and the violence just seemed unnecessary, gross and humourless

Movie 2: Gamer's trailer looked so promising i recommended it to my students. hopefully they don't remember my recommendation! the premise is quite interesting, because it dealt with people's obsession with virtual reality, issues of exploitation and subversion. but the shaky shooting style gave me a headache and it was simply too graphic for me.

is it just me or are movies these days getting more violent and increasingly bizarre. the other movie that seems to have great promise is 'surrogates'...hopefully it will be more thought-provoking than just bomb blasts and gore :P  
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home