Sunday, March 16, 2008

So many choices!

Uh oh... this is the time when I'm reminded of my age and the fact that it's been some time since I've graduated from uni *sigh*. There are so many new uni courses and changes in the system that I decided to go to the NUS open house to update myself. Reminds me of the time when I was 19 ha!
It's pretty exciting entering uni now, 'cos there is so much flexibility...double degrees, majors/minors from other faculties, exchange programmes... But if you've read the papers yesterday, seems like you are competing with quite a number of people - poly grads, foreign students, army boys hoping to change course. So make your choices carefully!

This is what I learnt from the NUS open house:
1) NUS colours are still as mismatched as ever. Never liked the orange and blue combi :P the whole world knows you've got a goodie bag from NUS
2) Faculty talks are pretty useless (at least the ones I attended)...they don't tell you what you wish to hear. They used to be better.
3) People manning the Arts booth speak better than those at the Science and Business ones. Ha, am going to get shot at for this, but kudos to FASS for giving me the most comprehensive answer! The science lecturer didn't bother to give me extra info and the business one was just out to sell her programme without giving me proper answers. The Engineering faculty produces the best FAQ booklet, so I'll give them the thumbs up for efficiency!

Ok, on to the more serious stuff:
4) Beware of the label 'direct honours'. This used to be offered only by NTU but NUS is jumping on the bandwagon too. 'Direct honours' does not mean you will definitely get an honours degree, you still have to maintain good grades over the four years. Science fac allows you to opt out after 3 yrs, Business will offer you the honours at the end of first yr if you are good, Arts will only offer you the honours yr if you attain a min CAP. If you intend to go into Government service, it will be good to get your honours
5) Double majors - this was the main reason that prompted me to check out the open house. For those of you who met me on Fri, I'm sorry, but I think I gave you the wrong info 'cos I didn't realise there was this new system.
Seems like the norm these days in all faculties is to read a single major, unless you want to add on credits to pursue double majors. This can be from the same fac or a different fac (Liu Ying, if you are reading this, yep, you are right. Thanks for drawing my attention to this. Hope you managed to get your answer during the open house). This is a very exciting concept, 'cos you can pursue your interests in other faculties. The catch is that there are selected courses that you can do a 2nd major in, and you have to fulfil more credits if you wish to do 2 majors, which means you have to be prepared to extend your course for another 1/2 - 1yr.
6) Accountancy in NUS - this is new to me...but it should be good news to those of you intending to take up accountancy. Of course, NTU's accountancy course has a very established reputation after so many years but the NUS one sounds pretty good too. So if you are really interested in accountancy, there's no harm applying for both 'cos NTU's course is very competitive
7) Prospectus - in my time (*sigh*), all the course modules and description were nicely bound into booklets for every fac. Now, the prospectus are just colourful and trendy, but without detailed info. So you should check out the fac websites and module descriptions when making your choice

Hmm...guess that's all I gleaned from the Open House. Hope those of you who went gained more specific details for the courses that you are interested in.

Here are a few websites that you can look at:
1) Funkygrad - this website is an online magazine written by undergrads from the various unis. There are useful study tips and other freshmen related issues. Quite a number of A-level grads have been asking qn abt admissions on the Forum. But the answers are just suggestions by the seniors so take them with a pinch of salt - http://www.funkygrad.com/think/
2) This NUS freshmen guide is for last yr's batch of students but still helpful - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/publish/freshmen_guide.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home